WHISTLE STOP INN B & B
INNKEEPERS – TONYA AND LEE CLANTON
Henry and Minnie Ritchey and their five children arrived by train from Carpenter, Mississippi in 1912. Henry went to work and helped build Stave Mill on Pine Creek on the Red River, white oak was used to make barrel staves. In 1917 he began farming and was a sharecropper for almost 30 years in the Detroit area. Henry bought his first team of mules named Dan and Whitehouse that same year. He owned eight mules and trained mules for other farmers. He used his mules daily to work the farm. Henry and Minnie retired and bought the Lee Coursey home place in 1937. Minnie saved up her egg money and was able to purchase additional acres over time to what is now the 6.5 acres that has been in the Ritchey family over 80 years. The train ran right in front of the farm and Minnie feed many travelers that stopped in.
?It was told that travelers had written on the boxcar wall, “Food, Ritchey’s, Detroit”. Minnie never turned anyone away, she always considered it an honor and a blessing.
Welcome to Whistle Stop Inn.