This burial site was first used in 1838 for the family of James Clark, the founder of Clarksville, who is interred here. The first burial is that of Benjamin Clark, Sr., an American Revolutionary War veteran. Other notable graves include those of Albert Hamilton Latimer, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, the Reverend John Anderson, a pioneer minister and educator, Col. Charles DeMorse, a noted Texas journalist and Civil War veteran, Otto Glosnop, a noted builder and early architect, Clyde Milan, a professional baseball star, and John A. Lomax, a early collector of American folk music.
Of particular note, is the large monument near the center of the cemetery on the west side. This monument is not made of stone, but rather of steel. The monument is for the grave of Andrew Thompson, given by his brother. A metal plate can be removed, and the hollow interior is known to be the hiding spot of whiskey during prohibition by bootleggers.
The iron fence was erected in the 1890s and was purchased from the Cincinnati Iron Works in Cincinnati, Ohio. Of particular interest is the “Hanging Tree” located in the northwest corner of the cemetery. This tree, known also as “Page’s Tree” served as the final justice for early criminals in Red River County.