This home was built between 1874 and 1877 by Otto Glosop for Andrew Thompson. Glosnop came to Red River County with the Yankee army of occupation following the War Between the States. However, Glosnop was not the typical Yankee, but an immigrant German builder. He saw the potential for building and was well-received by Red River County residents since he was not truly a “Yankee.” Glosnop also built the home at 407 East Main Street, Clarksville, Texas, in a Gothic revival style of architecture.
After Thompson’s death, the home was sold a Sheriff’s sale and passed into the hands of the George Burdette family. Mrs. Burdette, known as “Miss Belle” was a founder of Carr-Burdette Women’s College in Sherman, a nationally known writer, writing under an anonymous pen name.
The home fell into a state of great disrepair and was acquired by the Red River County Historical Society. The Society has restored the home to its present state and saved this architectural treasure.
In 2004, the Red River County Lawman and Cowboy Hall of Fame was moved to the house, and in 2005, the Farmer/Stockman Hall of Fame was moved to the house.
Also located here are scale replicas of the Red River County Courthouse and the DeMorse home. These beautiful replicas were built by the late Aden Petty.