The current Red River County Courthouse was designed by the architect W. H. Wilson of Dallas in a style known as Italian Renaissance Revival. Work started on February 18, 1884 and was completed in 1885 at a cost of $62,000 and was restored with a grant from the Texas Historical Commission and the Citizens of Red River County in 2003 at a cost of $4.9 Million. Mr. Livingston was the contractor. The west annex building was completed in 1910. The limestone for the building was brought from Honey Grove by rail to Clarksville and brought to the site by wagon.
The restoration returned the District Courtroom much to the way that it was when built, including returning the Judge’s bench back to the east end of the courtroom, opening up the ceiling, painting the walls the original Victorian colors, restoring the faux finish to the woodwork, and rebuilding the crumbling cupola. The old cupola was restored by Harrison, Walker & Harper, the contractors, and placed on the grounds.